Of the four seasons, autumn is definitely my favorite. I’m in love with everything about fall: the different colors of the leaves as they change, pumpkin spice everything, fall and Halloween decorations, warm drinks, and cozy sweaters. The weather is my ideal temperature – not too cold, but cool enough to wear long sleeves and comfy hoodies. Plus, there is a ton of fall fun to be had for adults and kids.
My Favorite Fall Activities
One of my favorite things to do in the fall is take long scenic nature walks and hikes. There’s something about walking through the crunching leaves and inhaling the crisp fall air that I love. In Minnesota, we have countless walking and hiking trails. Many are even close to the Twin Cities. Others are a short drive away. You can easily Google search to see what is closest to you. If you’re in Minnesota, the Explore Minnesota website has a lot of helpful suggestions.
Another thing I love doing in the fall is decorating. Pumpkins of all sizes make great decorations along with other types of squash, gourds, pine cones, flowers, and leaves. Pinterest is a great place to find fall decorating ideas. In fact, I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to autumn beauty.
Last year we went to a local corn maze with our teenagers. It was in the shape of our Minnesota Wild Hockey Team mascot. We had to answer questions that would lead us to the next check point. There was a big corn pit that kids were crawling through and my daughter even took part. They also had food, a small petting zoo, and hay rides.
At least once in the fall, usually in October, we have a bonfire with some friends and family. I enjoy the smell of firewood and sitting around the blazing logs making conversation.
Fall Bucket List
There are so many other fun things to do in the fall. Here’s a list of fun fall activities:
- Watch a scary movie. Although it’s not the scariest, I always have to watch Scream on Halloween. My daughter even dressed up as the character last year.
- Attend an outdoor football game. I checked this one off my list already by going to the Gopher’s game a couple weeks ago.
- Drink a pumpkins spice latte or apple cider. Check!
- Eat Halloween candy.
- Curl up on the couch with a good book and a blanket on a rainy day.
- Go to an apple orchard.
- Burn a fall scented candle (or melt scented wax).
- Eat some butternut squash soup.
- Cook something in a crockpot.
- Bake a pumpkin or apple pie.
- Go to a haunted house (this one isn’t for me).
- Go on a hayride.
- Shop for fall clothes.
- Paint your nails a dark color.
- Attend a Halloween party.
- Make s’mores around a campfire.
- Take a walk and crunch some leaves.
- Carve a pumpkin.
- Stay in a cabin on a lake during peak fall colors.
- Attend a fall festival.
- Make a list of what you’re thankful for.
- And dare I say, start Christmas shopping?
I’d like to hear from you! What are some of your favorite fall activities?